Most of what I've read lately could be deemed introductory to various subject matter and I've found that each has met that purpose well.

Soldiers of Reason by Alexa Abella: explores the beginning of the Rand Corporation and traces its development to the modern day. It discuss rational choice theory in the context that Rand developed and used it. I thought this was a good book for some strategic theoretical background.

The Bottom Billion by Paul Collier: examines four traps that cause poorer countries to remain that way and four instruments that can assist in crafting a plan for action.

The Second World by Parag Khanna and The Post-American World by Fareed Zakaria: both examine the second world's rise and implications.

Wired for War by Peter Singer: I liked this book as I approached it as providing introduction to an area I was unfamiliar with. It's written well and explores robotics used in war. The author raises some interesting legal/ethical questions that need further examination.

The Accidental Guerilla by David Kilcullen: although the term "accidental guerilla" is new to me, his thesis that we create additional enemies through our actions isn't. I seem to recall this coming up from the left side of the political spectrum in the 2004 election. That, however, doesn't change the fact that there is some truth to the assertion. This book allowed me to better develop an understanding of the complexity of the situation, particularly with respect to the influence of culture (sometimes more so than religion) on the actions of those we come into contact with.

Seven Deadly Scenarios by Andrew Krepinevich: I did not finish this book as it seemed too sensationalist. The invented footnotes with future dates serve only as self-serving tools rather than assisting the reader with any understanding. The author attempts to paint a picture of future scenarios through a narrative approach, but this method was ineffective for his subject matter (at least for me; some may like it). I did fully read though the chapters on Pakistan and China but found nothing really new. The chapter on Mexico-US was the most interesting IMO.

Next up: Terror and Consent by Philip Bobbitt and The Secret Sentry by Matthew Aid.