Thread: Afghanistan ROE Change

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Solid point

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    We seem to have a recurring pattern of commanders following "letter of the law" in risk adverse fashions rather than tailoring to each situation. Yingling has offered one reason why. I believe it goes back to the late 90s zero-defect checklist approach to training mentality. I don't believe it's the doctrine's fault, it's a sign of a massive failure in our Leader Development and Education System, and our inability to develop individual leaders and hold individuals responsible for their actions. We see every problem as a fault of the system, and issue blanket one size fits all policies as a result. It is sad.

"Why Johnny Can't Think for Himself" is an excellent question.
    Well elaborated on by Ken and Tom. I'll add that we also induct privates into basic training after given them 12 years of experience that mistakes means you're a "failure," with an "F" on a piece of paper to prove it to the entire world. Those who go on to college get another 4 years of reinforcement to the "lesson." (I've had to go so far as telling new graduate employees that if I don't see at least one mistake a week, it will be proof they aren't doing anything.)

Here's the problem: if we want initiative and independent thinking, people must know that they won't be pilloried for getting it wrong. When that happens, you create a risk averse culture. You also start eliminating the possibility that people will learn from their mistakes and become the better for it. (I met an officer from the 11th Cav who stranded his troop on an island during maneuvers. Career over - and the Army lost an officer who for damn sure would never let his unit get trapped on the wrong terrain again.)

The flip side problem, is creating a cultural environment where mistakes are accepted as the price of initiative and independent thinking, without creating one where the duds can "fail up."

So to summarize, solving the problem seems to require creating a culture that addresses two points:
    1. Tolerating mistakes as the result of initiative and independent, creative thought.
    2. Weeding out the people who can't or won't learn from their mistakes, or believe that initiative and independence somehow mean out of control.
    Last edited by J Wolfsberger; 06-24-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Clarification
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.