Quote Originally Posted by pjmunson View Post
I have "The Second World" on my bookshelf, but pushed it back in the queue when I read a review from someone that seemed credible (forget who) that panned it. Your take as to its credibility/utility?

I'm interested in Bobbitt's new book. I skimmed/read his "Shield of Achilles" and found it to be huge, but interesting in parts. I don't agree with all of his concepts and analysis, but I think overall he brings up some good points to think through and come to your own conclusions.
As an introductory piece, The Second World" is pretty good. Apparently, the author has travelled extensively is researching the book and his academic credentials look good. His bio in the book says he advised SOF in Iraq and Afghanistan so I guess that helps too. There is a bit much of the "America is declining" train of thought, but he's entitled to his opinion and its a logical opinion to derive from his findings. Of course, there is also much to disagree with in reaching those conclusions, but I wanted something a bit outside my normal readings. I found it very helpful in learning a bit about some of the areas that don't always make the news and in understanding the big picture. While I can't vouch for everything he says, it all seems plausible and backed by research. I'd like to find a similar book from a different perspective though, so I can round out the knowledge base.

I picked up the "Terror and Consent" book because it purports to examine the interplay between law and strategy, something I'm keenly interested in given that I'm a JAG. While most seem to subscribe to a notion of a change in warfare due to technology or a breakdown in state control over the means of warfare, I think the increasing relevance of law may also have an effect. I'm trying to wrap my head around this issue now and it looks like this book will be helpful in doing that. I'm open to other suggestions though. Bobbitt's "Achilles" book will make into my stack as well.