the Area of Dispersion.

Here's my figures. Used a 2" group at 100 yds, so the radius would be 1" (just to keep things simple using A = pi*r^2) - and 1" ~ 1 moa @ 100 yds.

diam.(in) radius(in) Area(sq in) [Situation - as in Storr article]

2" 1" 3 [range]

6" 3" 31 [f & m]

20" 10" 314 [f & m + ef]

63" 32" 3142 [f & m + eff]

200" 100" 31416 [f & m + efff]

So, if your target was between the eyes at 100 yds, you would have a lot of misses under the other conditions. But some would hit the human target not so precisely; most missing even that, but coming close enough. As in the middle situation (under enemy fire) 10'' to the side from the middle of my nose would cause me to duck - or take me out if it hit 10" low.

Anyway, under the worst conditions, at 200 meters the radial dispersion would be 200" from desired exact point of impact. This seems to be in the ballpark of Ken's real world experience. In fact, the middle situation is close on target for what he says.

-------------------
Sid would have been the lethal dude (I expect he was such in Nam, which we never discussed). I would never have got off a shot cuz I wouldn't have seen him - just, bang, bye-bye JMM.

He was a quiet guy who bought a farm with many acres way out in our boondocks - so he could set up what amounted to a 500 yds or better rifle range. He bought a collection of Ruger single-shot rifles (from 22-250 up to .458); and shot one of them every day. The AR15 was his baby (load development - but probably memories as well). Therapy I suppose.

One day he told us (a group of shooters) that he was selling the farm, the Ruger collection, and that it was time to go back to The World. Asked me if I wanted to buy the AR15, which I did. I've not heard from or of him since, but he is one guy that I hope his life in The World turned out as he wanted.

PS: No mosquitoes - about 50 and supposed to go down to 40s tonite. If it gets a bit colder in the next few days, we might have snow in July.