I fully understand the lessons and reasons to command, but still don't buy that you can't be a "great leader" without it. I'm MI, so I probably won't be leading a BN, but could be a G2 eventually, leading a staff and shop. I can't be great at that job unless I get a MICO, AIT, Recruiting, or HHC somewhere? Being BN or BDE S2 are not more important? Don't buy it.

Again, agree everyone should strive for it (I tried to command at my first battalion but since I was no longer FA, they would not give me a battery or the FSC, which was also commanded by FA), and I'll keep trying, but unless you are looking to lead a BN or BDE into combat, not having one is not the end of the world. Or maybe it is? MI is already having a hard time keeping captains bc so few commands available. Knowing we can't be "great" should help retention.

Understand the accountability piece, but all leaders are accountable. When my platoon did missions in Iraq, at times we were over 100 miles away from the commander. Got it, we were his guys, but I was responsible and accountable for the men, mission, and equipment. Those men and trucks were mine, and my men paid the price for my planning and decisions. Commander had UCMJ and the burden, but we shared it. Someone who deployed, worked on a FOB or staff, then gets a command is instantly better because they experience accountability in command? Don't buy it.

I've seen great, good, and bad commanders. Command is not a magic wand. It makes a good officer better. Just like every hard job. And a good commander may be terrible at staff work, and can't lead his shop. Does that matter?

Will we start a tier system? First, command yes or no? Second, TRADOC, RECRUITING, or FORSCOM command? Third, command while deployed? Fourth, # of commands? Firth, performance?

I understand what you are saying, and agree everyone should strive for command, because it is the best job for captains, but it is not the only job that can make you "great." Maybe you can't be a great commander without serving in the first position where leaders exercise command, but you can still be a great leader. Your Soldiers and NCO's decide if you are great or not, not your ORB.

Too early, pass the coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney Massengale View Post
To put a fine point on it, how can be a future great leader if you have not been a leader at all in the first position where leaders exercise command authority? Yes, we’re all leaders and we all have responsibility, but leadership = accountability and the Commander is overall accountable for everything. Period. If you’ve never experienced that, then no, you’re not going to be a great leader.

Now, if it all shakes out and people without command go on to do great and wonderful things in positions where it isn’t a liability, then great. However, this is the Army and pounding square pegs into round holes (much to the anguish of the surrounding wood) is our specialty.