Thread: Pakistani internal security (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Mathematical analysis of insurgency trends

Before I even dive into this, I offer full disclosure: I am not mathematically inclined! So I'm putting this out there for analysis and commentary by others, rather than being a proponent of it myself.

While wandering through the treasure-trove of talks on TED, I came across a fascinating talk (Feb 2009) by Kiwi physicist and mathematician Sean Gourley. He discusses the application of mathematics to insurgent attack trends. VERY intriguing patterns were revealed.

So my questions to the COIN practitioners: How parallel are his conclusions to your experiences/studies? Have you utilized this sort of analysis to determine future trends already? Is this something entirely new (in your experience)? What are your thoughts?

"At least we're getting the kind of experience we need for the next war." -- Allen Dulles

A work of art worth drooling over: http://www.maxton.com/intimidator1/i...r1_page4.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by AnalyticType View Post
    So my questions to the COIN practitioners: How parallel are his conclusions to your experiences/studies? Have you utilized this sort of analysis to determine future trends already? Is this something entirely new (in your experience)? What are your thoughts?

Here is a thread that has some thoughts...
    Sapere Aude

Default Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
    Here is a thread that has some thoughts...
    I hadn't found that one yet. I should'a looked more...
    "At least we're getting the kind of experience we need for the next war." -- Allen Dulles

A work of art worth drooling over: http://www.maxton.com/intimidator1/i...r1_page4.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by AnalyticType View Post
    Before I even dive into this, I offer full disclosure: I am not mathematically inclined! So I'm putting this out there for analysis and commentary by others, rather than being a proponent of it myself.

While wandering through the treasure-trove of talks on TED, I came across a fascinating talk (Feb 2009) by Kiwi physicist and mathematician Sean Gourley. He discusses the application of mathematics to insurgent attack trends. VERY intriguing patterns were revealed.

John Robb at Global Guerrillas writes about this subject, may want to search some of his posts there, here is the link. http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/

Default More management of savagery

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5545157

NPR interview with the translator, who was a Fellow at USMA CTC at the time (maybe still - dunno).

Which would make a "no" answer to the question "Has Naji's book affected our military education; do folks read and discuss it?" som'at ironic. I first saw it back in aught six - it's informed my thinking. (That and a dollar will still buy you a candy bar if you hurry.)

Got to appreciate the IO part - they've been highly effective at that. But I suspect most folks (none here) would be amazed (or dismissive) of any claim that they even had something approaching a "PR" wing.

Default "Stealing al Qaeda's Playbook"

- a background document by the same author here: http://www.ctc.usma.edu/pdf/Stealing...20--%20CTC.pdf