Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
Millions will miss MJ, mere dozens will miss some unknown soldier who died in a distant place.
To those of us who don't give the proverbial fig for Michael Jackson -- or any other entertainer -- the fact that millions might miss one of them is puzzling at a minimum. To me, it's down right ludicrous but if people want to wallow in illusion, who am I to complain.

No one expects more than the family and close friends to miss a soldier who was killed to be deeply concerned. Most of those are aware that, today, said soldier volunteered and was doing something he wanted to do, so there's generally no big cry of 'waste.' As others said above, that wasn't the point she was making.
The news are no place for "normal" deaths, or else CNN would need to hire speed rappers to at least mention the names of all people who died.
That's true and as Steve Blair said, that trend in this country has been complained about on this Board among other places by a number of people. You didn't necessarily have to have read some of those threads but neither did you have to assume that many here agree with the media approach.
The world isn't fair, get over it.
That was just a stupid and gratuitous insult to a lot of people here, most of whom who've been places and done things you haven't. You really ought to curb your occasional rather stupid and unthinking arrogance.
The American military (well, people associated with it) often looks to me like an attention/appreciation whore that behaves as if it's much more important (and ethical) than anything civilian.
That's a fair comment, there's some validity to it and you're not alone in those thoughts.
You guys should live a few years as a European soldier - neglected by politicians, neglected by public, low prestige and utterly irrelevant in general social life and economy. That would put things back into a healthy perspective.
I disagree that it's healthy -- for Europe or her soldiers. I do agree that we do a far better job over here (not that we do all that great; there's a lot of superficiality).
No offense intended, but it's really kind of obvious and extreme to me.
Fair opinion but the unnecessary "...get over it" crack negated your "No offense" line.
I didn't write this for this one case - I've seen many indicators for years and it had to be said sometime.
So have we all -- that's why a great many people in the US do not agree with our media approach.