Hi Sigaba,

I would agree with John that most of your comments and suggestions are spot on. As for the overlapping spheres model of culture, it is certainly one way of looking at it although I prefer Malinowski's version based on institutions, but that's the Anthropologist in me speaking .

I hope that Xander is following this discussion !

I did want to add on to some of your specific suggestions - more elaboration than anything....

1. Use operational definitions: either adopt someone else's definition of a key term or create your own definition.

2. Draw a flow chart / systems model of your argument: this is useful for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it helps you clarify the sections in your argument. I'll note that it is usually quite acceptable to "black box" some of the nodes in such a model, defining them as "beyond the scope of this study".

3. Get your committee to sign off (in writing) on the model including the inevitable changes that will happen.

4. Drink lots of beer / scotch / wine with your committee members: This may sound like a joke, but it isn't - you will learn a lot more from them in an informal setting and a free-flow discussion over a few pints than you will in formal meetings.

5. Build yourself a support group crossing disciplines and, specifically, including people in the service you are studying. These people are your safety net that will (hopefully) stop you from making an idiot of yourself when you write (believe me, I know how easy that is to do !).

Cheers,

Marc