Thread: Law and the Long War

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    There is a school of thought in the SOF community that shots to the pelvic girdle are preferable.
    Preferable for what? It doesn't seem like it eliminates the threat - at least not immediately. I would think that the target might be able to squeeze off a round or two while he bleeds to death or even to manage a last burst of strength to get up and do more. These guys continued to fight after taking 7.62 rounds in the abdomen and hip.

I guess it could be preferable to shooting in the chest if the enemy has body armor. We generally trained on cardiothoracic, head, and pelvic girdle, but that was also the order of preference.

Uboat509, I believe there is a limited place for shoot to wound as in some SWAT and Sniper operations, other than that it is a bad policy and bad law. At one time the pelvic girdle theory was in some LE circles and it died a fast and deserved death.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    Preferable for what? It doesn't seem like it eliminates the threat - at least not immediately. I would think that the target might be able to squeeze off a round or two while he bleeds to death or even to manage a last burst of strength to get up and do more. These guys continued to fight after taking 7.62 rounds in the abdomen and hip.
    I never said it was a popular theory. It as some merit. The pelvic girdle is larger and and less mobile than the head and is thus an easier target. Plus if you do actually hit the pelvis you will likely destabilize it a drop the target. Plus, due to the vascularity, pelvic wounds are often non-survivable. On the negative side, as noted, these wounds are also not immediately lethal. It was discussed but there was never a whole lot of interest in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    I guess it could be preferable to shooting in the chest if the enemy has body armor. We generally trained on cardiothoracic, head, and pelvic girdle, but that was also the order of preference.
    That was pretty much the way it was, and is, for us as well.

It's interesting that you posted that article. That was my company. I was with another team up in Kirkuk when that went down.

SFC W