Thread: Size of the Platoon and Company

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I just finished up reading another 2 threads, including a 19-page monster, on this in the forum. I should have read more before posting because I've retread covered ground. Perhaps these 2-3 threads could be merged or split into their respective parts (Squad/Section TOE, Platoon TOE, Company TOE, etc)?

Anyways, I've noticed discussion has touched on vehicles a few times. I'll just chime in from the Canadian perspective from the last few years in the green zones and arid badlands of Kandahar. We've developed a very keen appreciation for the LAV III, which is the Stryker chassis with a 25mm Bushmaster turret. The vehicle holds 10 pers (3 crew + 7 passengers). The vehicle is a superb tool. Its optics provide STANO excellent capability, the cannon is real slick and kills lots of badguys, the armour has saved lives and the vehicle itself is a shelter and a packmule for the troops and their gear.

Canada has been in the middle of a debate the last few years over "Mech Infantry" (6 battalions) and "Light Infantry" (3 Battalions) who maintain a parachute capability (with the current Army chief wanting to essentially do away with the Light Battalions). I find this to be a false dichotomy - at least for line infantry battalions. There is just "Infantry" - their method of delivery can be programmed ahead of time through proper managed readiness. The vehicle is simply too great of a "force multiplier" to be discounted as something only mech guys do. The "death before dismount" mentality that so many fear (that infantry with vehicles can't operate away from them) is really a function of leadership - Unimaginative or close-minded leadership is what allows an infantryman's skills to become so atrophied that he can't operate without his vehicle. I've done a good chunk of training away from the vehicles and we can leave them behind to go airmobile or footborne if need be.

This is why a high-end number (40) is better, in my opinion, than the lower end 28-32 I've seen. If you are operating with vehicles, they exist to crew vehicles. These guys aren't permanent crewman - my Platoon has spares and we rotate guys out for a break and to get bayonet time. This leaves 28 to 32 guys on the ground (depending on crew requirements of your platform) to operate but also gives you an extra "section" of your Zulu vehicles. If they are dismounted, those extra guys can become an extra section - or can be used as an "echelon" to help pack the ammo for the crew-served weapons that need to be manpacked now that you're out vehicles - or perhaps run the mule train?
    Last edited by Infanteer; 07-25-2009 at 04:55 PM.