Interesting, I guess a few comments:

1. You can't train people to think outside the box, but we do try to select from the uniformed masses men who do, and then train them to conduct special operations.

2. Education is rarely a bad thing, and in this case designed as a supplement to years of operations conducted out and among the populaces and security forces of our partners around the world; not to somehow supplant that experience base that is so important to making SF the effective force that it is.

3. SF had (last time I saw the stats) the highest retention rate of any specialty in the Army to stay in until 20 and earn a retirement.

4. SF and US Aid work together quite well, the only constraint on that being that we have to be respectful of the different nature of each other's missions, and too much collaboration hinders the effectiveness of both operations.

So in general, most of the concerns that I've read here are not really as serious as they may seem to an outsider. These guys have volunteered to take on the greatest challenges the military offers, and have stood the test of selection, training, the leadership challenge that is unique to commanding the vast talent and experience in an ODA, and global operations in peace and war. Their families pay a tremendous price in stress and separation as well.

If they also get a chance for an occasional good deal like an advanced degree program, that also allows them to rebond with their families, share their experiences with peers from other theaters, and add some thoughtful perspective to their experience; don't you think they've earned it?