Hi Callum,

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
One thing we are doing is organising some informal get togethers with non-military people who have extensive COIN and/or Afghan experience to get their perspective on how we (the military) do business. IOs and NGOs have come forward, they are very wilco but like things kept very low key and off the record (I bribe them with the promise of good food, fine wine and my scintillating company!). We are hoping to get a different perspective on how we do business as well as access to some in-depth cultural knowledge.
That is a really good idea. I'm trying to see if I can get a get-together like that set up for you in Ottawa for when you are over here - if you're interested .

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
MarcT has made the point that the narrative continuity is very important. As soon as possible you want to understand the plan of the unit you are replacing and the actions they are taking. Depending how good your links to theatre are (ours are very bad!) you may want to start shadowing what they do. When your team meets up you will have concrete scenarios and actions to discuss.
Part of that narrative continuity lies in "naming". So, for example, if Jon's unit uses the term Civil Affairs Officer as the key contact for local micro-development efforts, you should use the same term.

This brings up another point which has been problematic for me as I look at the effort in Afghanistan - poor reachback. In simple terms, "corporate knowledge" of an area gets lost with each unit rotating out and the handover when a new unit comes in tends to be dominated by the most immediate common denominator (aka kinetic potential). This is a real problem, and it's one that I think we should be thinking about.

This entire project is, in some ways, an attempt to circumvent the institutional lack of a decent reachback facility (as is Rach's CMO). It may be seriously woth thinking about designating someone as a reachback officer - someone whose focus is on making sure that knowledge gets stored where it can be accessed by other units going into the area (assume a FOUO level) and where people who are subject matter experts can be contacted.