Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
This thread provides a very good discussion highlighting the complexities involved in small wars. Personally, I find it easier to use the old languages of rebellion, insurrection, guerilla, partisan forces, etc...when confronting these types of conflicts. In the current environment, we use terms like Anti-Iraqi Forces, Anti-Coalition Forces, and Anti-Afghan Forces. These buzz words are too Orwellian for me, and they often minimize the issues, grievances, or ideology of each particular group.

COL Jones,

Sir, how would you categorize a nationalist group that does not necessarily support the current government, but mainly fights American/Coalition forces because they are perceived as occupiers? Many Sunni/Shia groups in Iraq fall into that category. I find it difficult to include them in issue-driven insurrection b/c their biggest beef is that a foreign nation is conducting operations in their homeland. I'm not sure what exactly to call them.

v/r

Mike

in regards to the invader; that may be little more than a minority populace or political party in terms of the nation itself.

Think of if Canada invaded the US to liberate us from Clinton or Bush or Obama. In all cases there would have been nationalist organizations strongly opposed to our sitting government who would have fought to the death to defeat the outside invader. Sure those same Republicans and Democrats go back to slandering each other once the common threat is defeated.

Or like a police officer responding to a domestic dispute. Keep an eye on that oft battered wife, because she may be the one trying club the officer when he cuffs her loser husband.

This is why we need to be slow to simply brand such movements as "Terrorists" as they may well be part of the fabric that will contribute to a strong nation one day. I believe addressing such organizations was a big part of what made the "surge" work in Iraq.