Thread: Origins of American Bellicosity

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Agree with Steve & Ken ....

on the German-American contribution to the US military. How could I forget the portrait of GEN Eisenhower on the wall of the German-American family we lived above during WWII and the early 50s - and his portrait as President which replaced it.

I'm gratified to learn that the Munster Irish have the gift of forgetting and forgiving - a trait clearly exemplified by one of those Virginian Anglican Irish, whose mild character is amply illustrated by the attached .pdf file.

It's been over 40 years since Jim Mitchell (Ulster Presbyterian) and I concluded, over appropriate beverages and multiple sessions of his Clancy Bros collection, that all Irish, North and South, are the same regardless of their "damned religions". We still think that way (last time we talked, a few weeks ago).

I have to admit our's is a minority view - and liable to shelling from both sides. Our favorite was the "Old Orange Flute" because it showed the dumbness on both sides of the supposed issue.

In the county Tyrone, in the town of Dungannon
    Where many a ruction myself had a hand in
    Bob Williamson he lived, a weaver by trade
    And all of us thought him the stout orange blade. ....
    A bit off the mark - and probably more applicable to why Northern Ireland has been bellicose.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jmm99; 08-11-2009 at 02:13 AM.