I'm still a fan of the infraction system and the Die Spammer Die thing, but there's a new feature that I could get to like.

In the moderator drop-down, there's now "Delete Posts as Spam." Not sure when that came in with the various upgrades. But it lets you move smoothly from delete the posts to banning the user in a continuous click-through -- a nice upside. It does not seem to spawn the automatic notification thread in the infaction forum, which is the only down side I see - the rest of us don't get to share the fun.

As a reminder on the fun sharing --

For the average offender, a well worded PM via the infraction system is really important. However, for the spammer getting banned, they will never see as they can no longer access PMs, so don't bother writing if for their death bed.

The "Ban Reason" field is the only thing they'll ever see when they log in under that userid. So make that a good one (i.e. worthy of us and them, not viciously spiteful).

What I tend to use is:
Identified as a spammer. If you believe that is an error, contact webmaster@smallwarsjournal.com.