Based on personal experience, I would say that many (though certainly not all) majors may not have grown up with the Internet and message board culture.

I'm currently a captain and have been involved in Internet message boards since I was in high school, and even among captains, this can definitely be a fringe activity, depending on your age and demographic. Certainly, the younger crowd is a lot more liberal with what they will say and post on the Internet.

It doesn't help that the Army has mandatory annual OPSEC classes, which often turn into a massive diatribe against Facebook and blogs (even though official military sites are far worse in terms of security violations). We are bombarded by over-the-top PSAs on AFN which tell us to watch what we put on our Facebooks, because thousands of pedophiles and terrorists are looking at us. We all had to watch a mandatory video in 2004 discussing the security risks from blogs, social networking sites and the like.

Yes, these threats are real, but why do we not discuss the positive aspects of social media at the unit level? Have we ever had a mandatory video from a senior leader discussing what sorts of things we should post on our Social networking sites? We have great senior leaders such as General Odierno and Admiral Stavridis posting great blog entries, but they don't get as much attention as they should.