Speaking strickly of "leg" infantry.

In my mind, the foundation should be a 3 man buddy team. Fire team is two 3 man teams. One 3 Soldier element is lead by the SGT team leader and the 3 Soldier element is lead by a competent E-4 or junior SGT, preferably a CPL instead of a SPC. A squad is 13: Two six Soldier fire teams and a squad leader. Platoon is 3 squads and then the platoon headquarters with Signal MOS RTO, 13F forward observer, and medic, all organic to the platoon, as well as 2 three man M240B machine gun teams.

Three Soldier buddy team weapons: One M203, one SAW, and the SPC/CPL leader in every other buddy team carries an M4/M16/M14 as the situation requires. Team leaders, squad leaders, platoon leader, and platoon sergaent carry M4/M16 with optics and IR/laser designators. Machine gun team: gunner carries a M240B and an M4 and the AG and the ammunition bearer in the team both carry M4/M16s. The AG would double as the spotter and group leader and would carry an optic and IR/laser designator on his weapon to help the gunner put rounds on target.

For wheeled and mechanized forces, the platoon described above would also have a vehicle section lead by a SSG. The SSG is responsible for the vehicle crews and once the "crunchies" are dismounted he is also responsible for getting the vehicles where they are best able provide supporting fires. I do not understand the value in having 11B (and 21Bs) driving Bradleys, perhaps a return of the 11M (and 12F, respectively) MOS? Also, if fighting in a linear conflict environment, the PSG could take control of the vehicle section, or a part of it, for logistics runs while the rest of the platoon digs in or otherwise remains in a stationary position as the situation mandates.

As the fight changes you change the weapons mix based on the mission.

For breaching: Infantry squads/platoons can handle their own manual, mechanical, and ballistic breaching with the issuing and training on shotguns and "SWAT style" battering rams and other speciality tools. For explosive breaching, you task organize an element from the Sapper company, "Echo" company, now organic at the battalion level. You build in redunancy by having the 11Bs learn about demolitions by training and qualifying with explosives with the Engineers and by sending them to advanced course like the Urban Breacher course.

I do not think that platoons need to be lead by CPTs. Platoons should be lead by a 1LT while a 2LT shadows/learns and is there to assume leadership of the platoon if needed. I was a "platoon XO" of a combat engineer platoon for a couple months and I learned an immense amount from the 1LT I worked with/for, more than I learned from the company commander honestly.

I think that the Army should lengthen LT time to atleast 4 years and keep 2LT time to 18 months. I also think that the "day count" for TIG should start when the officer hits a platoon and begins his/her shadow time while TIS would continue to be counted the way it is now.

And, while I am on my soapbox: All newly commissioned 2LTs should go through the following prior to attending OBC: CLS, Level 1 Combatives, a week to two week long hands-on course covering BFT, FBCB2, and current radio systems (SINCGARS, ANCDs, MBITRs, ICOMs, satellite phones, TACSAT...), a week to two weeks of weapons (Mk19 on down to include hand grenades and perhaps the bayonet assault course) PMI and standard qualification along with an introduction, with familiarzation fire, with optics and the various designators, and an introductory weeklong classroom symposium, with assigned reading, covering the history and basics of COIN and also "cultural awareness" courses on the current relevant culture(s) (New 2LTs will get firehose fed 3rd generation/"march-up" tactics at their OBC). Also, the new 2LTs should get option of attending airborne and/or air assault prior to OBC. However, they should wait until after their OBC to attend schools like Ranger or Sapper Leader.

This block of instruction could easily be given at any of the major TRADOC basic training posts like Benning or Leonard Wood.

I get the impression the new BOLC was supposed to do something like that, but it mutated into what the new ROTC graduates call "Camp 2."