• Brilliant, useful

26 45.61%
  • Interesting, perhaps useful

26 45.61%
  • Of little utility, not practical

1 1.75%
  • Delusional

4 7.02%

Thread: The David Kilcullen Collection (merged thread)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLyall View Post

For those who are interested, I'd simply note that we posted the replication data, including the exact codes for statistical replication, on my website in April (the article was published in January 2009). In January, we also posted the codebook, supplemental analyses, and cases (286 of them).
    http://www.princeton.edu/~jlyall/
    As recently as 7 July 2009, your dataset was not linked from your website. Dr. Toronto and I looked often for the data, and given the previous responses from the KSU emails this winter, we assumed it was still being withheld/worked on. Am glad you resolved the bugs and posted it.

Also, I don't think my previous criticism was a flame, but I didn't understand why the data couldn't come out earlier with the paper, since its genesis was over two years old. When that happens, one begins to question the dataset. I also think your paper is critically flawed on a logical basis. When you read the response we authored (I sent via email), we don't challenge the dataset or SATA results, only the reasoning, conclusions, and case study.

I am posting our major arguments over at the Mechanization and COIN thread (see post #99). Hope you join in, there is a lot of very insightful debate/discussion there on this subject that adds experiential context to theory.

Niel

Ibid. On 1 May 2009, this appendix was available—as Lyall and Wilson 2009, 92, report it would be—at http://www.princeton.edu/~jlyall/Lya...t_Research.htm. On 6 May 2009, it was not. The appendix contained a replication of Fearon and Laitin’s 2003 study on intra-state violence; robustness checks of the correlations they report in their article; and a list of their 286 cases, with start dates, end dates, and outcomes. As of 7 July 2009, this appendix was still not available at the above site.
    Last edited by Cavguy; 08-26-2009 at 01:59 AM.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?