Thread: Army Doctrine Reengineering and the Loss of Any Historical Perspective

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Under aurora borealis on north base of Alaska Range at headwaters of Toklat and Little Delta Rivers.

Default Peer Review Audit Trail for Historical Basis of Doctrinal Manuals

Klugzilla noted earlier
    As I mentioned before, I too hate to see this happening; however, the actual appearance of quotes, vignettes, etc. does not necessarily mean that history does not underpin doctrine. That train has left the station". Also, we have yet to settle on a format for the ATTP, which is where vignettes may have the most impact. I think this ties into the Bob's World post."

Its not to late. The train hasn't gathered much speed yet. I think that historical underpinnings ought to be part and parcel of each published Service doctrinal manual, and that these underpinnings, whether in-text references or separate quotes and vignettes, should be extensively footnoted and/or source-note referenced. Peer review/audit ought to be an integral part of the coordination process (required not just requested) for draft manuals prior to their publication and public release.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 03-31-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Insert quote marks