Rex Brynen said:

I'm not sure it is anything like the US task in Afghanistan, to be honest. There (rightly or wrongly) the US is trying to build the long-term legitimacy and stability of the central government, including by trying to reduce corruption. In the scenario given here, you're trying to maximize the profits of a private company, possibly by ignoring or undercutting the central government (we're given no information on their attitude to all this) and possibly by using corruption.
This is long term strategy. I'm not sure that Fuchs need this.

The CIA’s paramilitary operations in Afghanistan in 2001 have been widely described; CIA officers began infiltrating Afghanistan before the end of September 2001 and played an active role alongside SOF in bringing down the Taliban regime by the end of the year.
http://www.fas.org/man/crs/RS22017.pdf

Did those small units collect infrmation and loyalty through verbal persuasion?

First thing to do, therefore? Ask an awful lot of questions. (Not such a bad idea in COIN operations either.)
One of the questions should be what can we do for you?

About corruption. I expressed myself in too general terms. One example about getting local's help is air base in Kyrgyzstan. As a bystander this seems to me like textbook bargaining process. I don't know who was the man (what ever title he has) who has enough resources to enforce tolerable level of security (in the valley). Maybe he is sitting in Kyrgyzstan's case in Bishkek, maybe in Moscow. You should just ask questions from PR firm What those guys got for air base. At least Kyrgyzstan got huge amount of money. To come back to smaller administrative level, maybe you don't need to pay money to local boss, but you just have to build nice modern football pitch to local school. You just got hint from local boss.