If you really want some straight skinny by users for users on weapons and gear, I suggest you try Lightfighter.net. You have to join (free) to read the forums, but it is a very useful sight as far as equipment goes (not the place to discuss strategy, however). Also, follow the directions about filling out an intro before posting anything. And use the search function - lots of questions already answered.

The general consensus on the LF forum is that Aimpoint are the way to go. They have outstanding reliability ( you can leave them turned on for something like several years without replacing the batteries - easily through an entire deployment ) and have a very good warranty/repair team that is responsive to emails (and actively monitors the LF forum for issues...).

The Eotech (L3) you mentioned has its own thread (or more than one) about its problems with battery life, durability, and problems with the battery spring contacts. There are newer models that have solved some of the issues, but battery life is one area that the Aimpoint owns over the Eotechs.

Some feel a bit faster with the holographic crosshair on the Eotechs, but the Aimpoint Red Dot Sight practically never fails. (The US Army official RDS is the new M4Comp.) Plus, you can get the Aimpoint 3x magnifier (run with the RDS) and have the best of both worlds - a magnified sight for extended viewing/target ID, and a RDS for CQB shooting.

Email me if you have further questions, but I highly suggest you check out LF.

Tankersteve