Thread: Vindication for a General

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Yeah, I'll admit that a lot of my opinion of Shinseki was formed from a position of ignorance. The employees often think they know more than the boss, which is probably where a lot of my opinion is based. And I agree that the beret was a stupid issue overall. It was a hat. That was really what irritated me more about Shinseki than anything though, it was an issue over what hat we wear in garrison and it kept dragging on and on into a huge mess...I think that most people didn't care about what the solution would be, they just wanted it to stop being an issue. That really wasn't all Shinseki's fault though, and I think SSG Rock is right that the bitching from the peanut gallery didn't help matters. I was just offering my opinion on it retrospectively.

And I think that a lot of the others were right about how well Shinseki handled the bigger issues. He put together what history has apparently judged an accurate assessment of the requirements for the Iraq invasion, he did the best he could at getting the administration to accept it, and he didn't start screaming to everyone when his suggestions were rejected (not that it likely would have done much good if he had if State of Denial and Fiasco were accurate). When it mattered, Shinseki got it right, acted like a professional, and acquitted himself fairly well as a leader, so my opinion of him is actually quite a bit higher than my comments about the beret issue may have indicated. But then again, that's also from a position of more or less total ignorance and I know that others are more well-informed on it than me. Just wanted to weigh in.

And swagger sticks would be kind of cool
    Last edited by UCrawford; 01-19-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: add-on