Quote Originally Posted by goesh View Post
Yup, Marct - I'd have to or bear the wrath of 3 ancestors who fought the Brits and who would most likely curse me from their graves if I defined them as disgruntled pioneers or unhappy settlers or Presbyterian insurgents, yet now I'm wondering how many of their neighbors crops their burned and cattle they killed and how many they actually bushwhacked and killed for being pro-Brit..... thanks alot, pal, for making me rub some mud on the ol' family honor as I have no doubt they brought violence against anyone they could that was connected to the Brits in any way.
Well, it's only fair since your ancestors may have burned out my ancestors

On a more serious note, I have noted a tendency for many people in the council to make a simplistic symbolic equation: insurgency = "bad", state government = "good". I think that this is a dangerous assumption for all of us to make. Sometimes, the state just has to go...

Marc

ps. Not that I am in any way supporting the illegal and criminal insurgency in the Colonies! As a United Empire Loyalist, and a card carrying member of the Monarchist League, I would be burned at the stake for that!