Thread: FOB Keating attack repulsed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Dang. I was hoping that this thread would serve a placeholder to shoot down any rumors. I guess it's for real.

This, too, just popped up a few minutes ago...
    Militant fighters streaming from a village and a mosque attacked a pair of remote outposts near the Pakistan border, killing eight American soldiers and as many as seven Afghan forces in one of the fiercest gunbattles of the troubled eight-year war.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the deadliest attack for coalition forces since a similar raid in July 2008 killed nine American soldiers in the same mountainous region known as a haven for al-Qaida militants. The U.S. has already said it plans to leave the remote area to focus on Afghan population centres.

via canoe.ca
    More at the link.

Yon said (about eight hours ago) that casualties were still coming in, even though the attack had occurred quite a while earlier. I don't know if that means walking wounded stayed behind to maintain security or if that is the reason for the disparity in ANSF casualty figures.
    Last edited by Schmedlap; 10-04-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph