Thread: Use of polling as a metric

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Use of polling as a metric

The issue of metrics / performance indicators has been discussed before on at least this thread: http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=3895

Today Bob's World has posed a question, in a thread on Afghanistan, which dserves a seperate thread's creation. Alas this is after a few posts commenting, so this post will appear in the midst of the thread and not at the start.

Bob's World's question:

The key is to use polling of the populace as your primary metrics. Actually, I created a model for for this type of targeting that JSOTF-P has been employing for determing what projects to take on, where, etc for best effect. Coltroup briefed it at the last PASOC. He seemed to be pleased with the results, but you have better data than I do in that regard.
    On another, earlier thread on Metrics I cannot recall this point being made and it is not my field. So instead I will relate an account by a recognised, local (UK) expert on polling ethnic minority communities - discussed after a frustrating and eventually successful polling of a Muslim community.

The polling was originally specified to be made by phone contact, on grounds of cost; this was rejected and personal interviews chosen. The poll had to include all sections of the community - notably women - and it took repeated visits to establish trust before women could be spoken to. Youth were slightly easier, but more difficult to find at home - as the pollsters hours needed to be adjusted.

On this example alone (dangerous, caution now) how will polling the populace work in "hot spots" like Mindinao and Nuristan?

I have some recollection that in Iraq some polling was done.

davidbfpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-06-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Moved from Afghan thread to here.