Quote Originally Posted by omarali50 View Post
I think the situation with Taqiya does not apply to polling. Taqqiya as a conscious act is most likely when a particular individual is hiding his real views because of the danger HE or she may face OR when a committed ideologue knows what the party line is and acts to further those aims.
And when the respondent has a sense of humor and like to confuse and befuddle.
I cannot think of any examples where a large population would change answers to suit ideological imperatives...not if questions are prepared a little carefully.
The last item is often a problem; they frequently are not. Plus, it's not the ideology nearly so much as it is politeness (what the questioner wants to hear) and the pragmatic, personal -- can I benefit from this? The pragmatic aspect which applies to people all over the world, not just the ME and Muslims. Though, as I said, when haggling is a national sport (that's a compliment, not a knock), the folks in the ME and Asia have an edge on any westerner.
Basically, what I am saying is that large populations are not thinking that deeply about the poll you are doing...
That's universally true; my point was that the very important aspect of politeness (NOT a western attribute) and pragmatism (universal but well honed in societies which practice bargaining) can skew results. Taqqiya may or may not apply -- depends on the reason for and wording of the survey. I agree that generally it will not -- though in questions of governance and relations with the west it may.

Dayuhan said it better than I...