Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
Agree 100%, thus you must agree then that we have to develop HN capacity to secure the area, since we can only control so much?
Yes you must increase HN security forces. Absolutely! Do you have to dig a well and build a school? What do the civilians want and can you protect for the next 10 years, 24/7? Context, context and context.

Hopefully this makes sense, I agree all war is fought for political purposes, but not all wars are fought using politics as a primary effort at the "tactical" level. That is perhaps the difference between irregular and regular warfare. To say all war is political is like saying all war is war, it is true, but not useful. The character of each war/conflict is different, and it is important that we understand it, or we'll likely fail to address the real threat or solve the real problem.
Well we will probably differ here as I believe in the unitary model of war. I think War is War is very useful, because it usefully simplifies and identifies those aspects that differentiate wars and conflict from each other. I dispute that you "fight using politics". I suggest precisely the opposite. You fight so that you can apply politics. If you can apply "policy" without fighting, then great.
Looking at schools specifically, the building isn't that important, but rather who appoints the instructors and monitors their curriculum that is critical.
Concur. - so do you need a building?