...I'll sink my teeth into the full thread later.

120mm is a great platform. Especially the ungodly accurate EFSS (although I was FDO for the test battery, so it may just have been my well-oiled FDC). However, 120's just don't have the range or the sustainability to take a big chunk out of the M777's job market. Great weapon for Direct Support, not so good for general support.

The M777 may not last long, but some 155mm Howitzer will. It's a good middle range weapon between mortars and rockets. There's a company working on a high speed piece of gear that creates a "vacuum" of hydrogen inside the bore and the tube of the gun. Since a round travels easier through 100% hydrogen than through normal air, you can get 30+ clicks with an unassisted projectile. Only problem is getting it small enough to mount on a gun. Should be good for business. Plus, nothing can do illum as well as cannon arty.

HIMARS are a great general support asset and can't be beat when you need dead balls accuracy.

Netfires. Limited utility that can't be more easily provided by other assets, not worth the money.