Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMaior View Post
Of couse I am not suggesting that infantry should walk ALL the times, also not suggesting that you should sell rather than argue. As long as the weapons stay the same there is not major leap forward in infantry tactics. Please treat each other as reasonable (is this the correct word?) people.
Concur. Apology if I seemed unreasonable - not my intent.

In the present time of cheap (and small!!) videocameras/mobile phones capable of recording (see that girl shot dead by a basiji in Iran) and filesharing sites you cannot leave the media (public opinion) out of quotation. That one single video of no more than 5 minutes caused more harm to Ahmedinejad than his mumblings.
a.) Who is still in Power?
b.) Was it that she was killed, or that the killing was filmed?
c.) There is virtually none/if any live footage of any atrocity in Darfur. Any less relevant for the lack of footage?

As of global markets you don't need anymore to destroy your opponent's armies and occupy some important turf as someone said to bring it its knees. One small secret maneuver with its currency and it is begging for mercy. Russia has bought off half Austria controlling more of it than it had between 1945-1955.
Maybe so. That is not a military problem. It is entirely diplomatic/political. Lack of funds is only relevant if it prevents a military acquiring resources. Resources - fuel, ammunition, weapons and manpower are still useable even if the economy has been wiped out. Men with guns will always predate men with bank accounts, and no guns.
Sad or not war is getting out of fashion just as major epidemies have vanished.
Really? Where is the evidence? Going out of Fashion for who, when and where?
I am sorry Wilf but clinging to the notion that there is no significant change on the way IMHO is more damaging than examining such wild theories as 5GW, nanoterrorists and stuff.
I'm not clinging to it. Where is the evidence? More over you cannot predict that change.
Noble said Dynamite would end warfare. Historically the vast majority of predicted RMAs have failed. I can cite you many many examples and they far outnumber the RMAs that were actually predicted and actually came to pass. War
Show me a major Military development in the last 15 years, that has caused seismic shifts in military affairs?
All we have seen is strategic developments. The applications of force which worked in 1994 still work today.
Any point in looking more than 15 years into the future?