Quote Originally Posted by Michael C View Post
Can anyone speak to the accuracy of this? That is certainly an often cited criticism, but is it accurate? I would be very surprised if we were doing something so stupid and simplistic.

All I know, is that as a PL on the ground I was never told what the metrics for ISAF were. Also, I know that my BDE didn't have any relevant metrics, or at least PLs and COs on the ground didn't know them.

I also know that in the Accidental Guerilla, Dr. Kilcullen made a point that when the surge operations began and he was brought in, one of the big changes was a clear refining of metrics and tracking them much better down the chain of command. Could the same mistake be made twice? Easily.

So, if the high command of a country has metrics, but the American people, the Afghans of the country and the soldiers on the ground don't know them, do they really exist?

Well. Wow. You have the metrics. As a CO/PL your guys are doing the measuring. You might not be making the suit but you and others like you are gathering the raw data. It is usually not hard to follow. where does my report go? What is the working group of the on-high taking out of my reports. What is the way ahead? If you are not reporting on your observation in the community regularly to higher well yeah you are wasting your peoples time and effort. DOnt do that. Is it good to have x is why we do y well sure it is preferred but the answers are around if you know the questions to ask. And it may not be your job it may belong to someone else.