Quote Originally Posted by GPaulus View Post
Sir,

I believe based on what I have learned from the war and in my studies that there are fundamental and significant differences between insurgents and terrorists.

Not only in their motives and their Tactics, Techniques, Procedures (TTPs) but in our military response to each--how we fight.

I think a new string would be very helpful.
I think that you can't differentiate between insurgents and terrorists in that way.

Insurgency is in my opinion the overall term and encompasses all members of an insurgency movement. That is the Leaders, Theorists, Financers, Sponsors, Helpers, Computer-Experts, Media-Experts, Technicians, Bomb-Makers, Spies, ..... and of course the actual fighters. Among the fighters you may then find the terrorists, simply because Terror is a useful method insurgents use to achieve their goals.

This makes it also clear, that by military means alone you can't win against an insurgency movement, because it's made of more than just fighters and terrorists.

The fight against terrorists is therefore just a part in the fight against insurgents.

There are, of course, other terrorists as well, which are not related to an insurgency and which also can't be directly compared with insurgents one on one.