Posts by Dayuhan,

I think AQ found it much easier to raise support and money during in the gulf during the oil glut and consequent economic misery of the 90s than they did during the recent oil boom. Ideologies of hate and victimization are harder to sustain during prosperous times. If we stop putting money in the hands of the Gulf Arabs, and a real economic collapse ensues, AQ will have a wonderful time exploiting that. Of course there would be less money around for them to raise, but there will always be some and they really don't need that much to make a mess. I personally think prosperity in the Gulf accrues to our favor, while poverty favors our opponents.
I'm only speculating, but the oil glut in the 90s probably didn't significantly impact the wealth of the elite in the Gulf States. Assuming that their wealth is impacted significantly in the future, then theiir generous donations to NGOs that are nothing more than front companies for extremist groups would have to be decreased, which over time would have a negative impact on a number of terrorist groups. Weapons, militant salaries, ammunition, medical, etc. all cost money, and those prviding them have the money.

Not necessarily. I said that the will required depends on high oil prices, but I do think high oil prices are likely to continue even without any Government action, which is a plus point.
Depends on what you consider "high" oil prices. From what I'm reading the oil industry needs to maintain the price around $70.00/barrel to break even (a lot of factors, but probably true for the oil sands in Canada and the deeper wells in the ocean where exploitation simply costs more). There is no guaruntee that oil companies will intelligenty invest those profits to ensure a sustainable future, but that is another issue. Back to the main point, once the current economic crisis passes we'll be able to sustain economic growth at that price, but if it goes higher it is questionable. $100.00/barrel oil had a significant impact on the economic growth, but it didn't happen over night, so while we can survive spikes, I remain less optimistic about sustained high prices and think governments will intervene with subsidies, etc., which will only delay the pain.