I did a country risk assessment on Iran two years ago in which I highlighted three significant political risks (in addition to the myraid of economic and financial ones). The threat of sanctions for moving ahead with their nuclear program and failing to remedy human rights abuses (largely against the Bahai), the threat posed by the several possible insurgencies whose grievances stem from inequality and persecution (Kurds, Baloch, groups in the NE, and maybe even a terrorist threat from outsider Sunni extremists like Ansar al-Islam), and the huge demographic youth bulge that is composed largely of youngsters who are frustrated with the ruling elite, with their politicized brand of religion, and already surprised the Mullahs at the polls about ten years ago and may do so again.

I think that jibes with the article. However, those are only the three major political risks. I think their economic and financial challenges are just as problematic. Their economy is heavily dependent upon petroleum exports, their unemployment is high despite the relatively high educational level of their youths, and their currency is basically monopoly money with fancier graphics.