I always struggle with the idea of another piece of technology, and have to look at it in the context of the cost-benefit - The small UAV at my disposal would be great for looking around corners and I would think reasonably close to mid range. However, as a dismounted trooper -
- I can only cover so much ground before my UAV gathered intel rapidly becomes stale before I can cover the ground.
- I need it when I need it, so the idea of a company controlled UAV makes me just another on the list of people who need it.
- Giving me a handheld for displaying the info may turn this into the compass of 10 years ago - The navigator who uses it periodically and relies on his senses and instincts will do better than the person who stares at it while walking in circles.

As for the Uber iPod, as a defense contractor who builds systems, the iPod app is a great concept, until we actually load it with operational data (locations, report data). At this point the data should become classified, and policy makes this use impossible. (I don't entirely agree with the policy, but how do we solve the issue of the persistent terrorist with a comp sci degree from MIT hacking the application and gathering the blue data - This simply creates a nice juicy target for the next round of indirect fire. . . .