Thread: First U.S. Official Resigns Over Afghan War

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Cavguy:

I was kinda with you until you started psycho-diagnosing. Is anyone opposed to things a PTSD case? COL Gentile may way in as some have suggested his criticism of COIN is driven by PTSD.
    Actually, I was trying to play nice. Absent something like that, I can not, in truth, understand why a committed professional would not, at the least, try to push for changes once the doors opened to that.

Too many people have too much on the line for a professional on the ground in Afghanistan to just blast off a letter of complaint on the way out the door, but then, once the letter has an effect, not pursue that...

Just my opinion.

Steve

Note: Prayers out for the wives and mothers who read that article in the Post. I remember what it was like in Spring/Summer 2008 trying to convince (lie to) my wife, as I returned from leave, that I would be safe as a PRT back in Iraq while the Embassy was routinely bombarded and two of our PRT colleagues had just been blown up in Baghdad. Now, the Afghan risks are front page, and a State Department person is quoted as saying "fegedaboudit." Not helpful for those on the ground.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-27-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Add quote marks