Thread: The Motive For 911

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Know Thy Enemy...

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    anyone is believing this FBI (speak Gov.) non-sense?
    Yes, I am. Bin Laden is explicitly clear in his core grievances against America:

1. Deployment of US forces in the holy land of Islam (Saudi Arabia)
    2. Enforcement of UN sanctions on Iraq (1990-2003) that led he claims led to the death of 1 million + innocent Iraqi’s.
    3. American support for Israel in its occupation of Jerusalem.

Here's a little tidbid from Lawrence Wright’s The Looming Tower about lead hijacker Mohammed Atta:

"On April 11, 1996, when Atta was twenty-seven years old, he signed a standardized will he got from the al-Quds mosque. It was the day Israel attacked Lebanon in Operation Grapes of Wrath. According to one of his friends, Atta was enraged, and by filling out his last testament during the attack he was offering his life in response."

- The Looming Tower, p.307
    bin Laden also has explicitly cited the 1996 shelling of Qana - Operation Grapes of Wrath in his declarations against the US.

Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
    Yes, I am. Bin Laden is explicitly clear in his core grievances against America:

1. Deployment of US forces in the holy land of Islam (Saudi Arabia)
    2. Enforcement of UN sanctions on Iraq (1990-2003) that led he claims led to the death of 1 million + innocent Iraqi’s.
    3. American support for Israel in its occupation of Jerusalem.

bin Laden also has explicitly cited the 1996 shelling of Qana - Operation Grapes of Wrath in his declarations against the US.
    Maybe, but I have two possible reservations:

1) We assume that KSM, or UBL or whoever is actually actively aware of the real reason that they planned these attacks. It is not uncommon that people hide true motives even from themselves (very touchy feely, I know).

2) To be perfectly cynical, people tell you what they want you to believe not what is actually the truth. Indeed, it is even quite possible that there were multiple motives for 9/11 as there were multiple participants and planners.

That said, it is always of some value to consider what people actually say.
    Audentes adiuvat fortuna
    "Abu Suleyman"