As Dave points out, we had a better balance of our approach to intel during the Cold War. Personally, I attribute much of this to everyone having a better grasp on what it was we were trying to do. The Soviets were a state like us, so we could mirrror image in large part and figure out what might most likely deter or provoke them.

AQ, on the other hand, is not like us at all. Therefore we have necked it down to a simple "We must capture or kill them as they cannot be deterred."

So what comes first, the proverbial chicken or the egg. Will once we achieve greater strategic understanding of this new threat, played in this new post cold war playing field/rules, we will be better able to focus our strategic intelliegence?

Or,

Will the intel community step up to the challenge that they cannot simply provide weather and threat info, and provide the insights that help senior leaders develop effective strategies for these new threats in this new playing field with new rules??

Intel guys, I'm asking. Seriously.

I will be sitting down with our guys and having this same conversation next week, so here is your chance to influence that conversation. I don't know what the right answer is, but I know what we've been doing isn't it.