Quote Originally Posted by MikeF
...My answer is to start firing folks. That is one way to stir up a bureaucracy....
I wholeheartedly agree with you. But my experience over the past couple of decades is that it is far easier said than done. The old adage #### up, move up I've seen function in the intel world so often its painful.
Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen
....policy-makers rarely use it in that way, nor do they want product that looks much beyond the medium term, nor are they banging down anyone's door demanding strategic intel product....
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Bob isn't just talking about civilian policy-makers, but also senior military planners and decision-makers. Unfortunately, (but perhaps Bob has a different perspective) I also don't see senior military leaders banging down the intel shop's door demanding strategic product in the context of this discussion.
Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World
...I will not use that bit of reality to take the pressure off of the intel guys to be a little proactive...
It all comes down to leadership. By all means come down hard on the commander/supervisor/manager of the intel domain that supports you. State clearly what you want, why you want it, and why current production is failing to meet your needs. Put it in writing and CC the appropriate people. The analysts doing the grunt work will only be proactive and produce at a level beyond what exists in current requests and tasks if their leadership resources and incentivizes that sort of production.