Quote Originally Posted by omarali50 View Post
I think that the US embassy would have LIKED to see some actual tribal elders there, but THEY refused to meet her because they are afraid of having their head cut off. Btw, being identified in this specific manner in ""the news" is probably not helping any of them sleep better at night.
First, Omar sahib, I've read your stuff on AM and here, and find it thoughtful and illuminating.

In terms of tribal elders, I'm not at all convinced the embassy or aid community actually sought to talk with them, at least those from North Waziristan. And while FATA's environment has proven hazardous to traditional leaders, I've seen some nuanced relationships between leadership groups, even within the same agency. We need to learn to deal with such shades of grey without panicking.

I think it would be an unfortunate error to focus on NGOs and politicians and omit traditional dialogue in a land where many have concerns and few have instruments less blunt than bombs. The aid community, if it is to be used as one of those less-blunt instruments - or even if it just aims to deliver assistance to those in need - will have to re-envision its concept of "civil society" and "NGO" to work in an environment where kinship is the driving force. Given the billions of dollars looking for a way to sluice to "the people" in Pakistan, this is no small matter.

Regarding Shawal, if even from my armchair, it seemed a predictable area for militants to shift, one hopes it was anticipated.