Criminal enterprises...now there's an interesting one. Terrorist groups use these sorts of activities to finance their operations, so the two clearly mix. I do feel that there is a difference between an organized criminal activity (such as the Mafia or larger cartels) and smaller ones that crop up in unstable locations. Perhaps "organized crime" might be a better term for the "criminal enterprises" in disorganized territories, with the enterprise term limited to the criminal tactics and not the organization.
Steve,
The Estonian Central Criminal Police use that term even to this day to describe not only organized elements in disorganized territories (Russia) but concluded after an FBI course in NOV 05, that the locations no longer need to be unstable (although easier to maneuver and recruit), the tactics simply change to mesh with the operational area.

Why then would it be any different for a somewhat organized terrorist cell working abroad ?

I would think it would be much the same, a little homework (afterall, time is on your hands) and objective.

Yes, I have a rather modest view, less complicated and what I think is logical (I function, not operate the very same way).

Regards, Stan