I've nothing against PRTs, nor against District Reconstruction Teams as recently floated. But, let's talk politics.

You and I start the Good Guys Party (since I use "guys" without gender distinction, we aren't male chauvinists, but are competent, honest and filled with integrity). So, how do we handle Michigan ? Well, we set up a PRT in Lansing. Will that win any elections ? Not in my experience.

So, we up the ante and set up DRTs in each county. Will that do better in elections ? Sure, but it is not the complete answer.

The answer is that you set up committees in every city, village and township - and then get down to neighborhoods (election wards, precincts). If you doubt me, ask Karl Rove and David Axelrod.

Thus, the political effort (just as the military effort) must reach down into the villages in each area which you want to secure. We win if we can keep ourselves and the villagers safe and if we have the better political message. If the political message is lousy (incompetence, corruption, venality), the political game is lost - regardless of how good the US is, cuz the HN "goodness" is the key variable.

That doesn't mean the insurgency cannot be defeated - you just use brute, overwhelming, authoritarian force and kill all the insurgents (and to make sure, use Giap's - better that 10 innocents die than one counter-revolutionary escapes). I don't think that can be our game plan.

Like I said, just an old dinosaur.

Regards,

Mike