Thread: Sanctuary (or perhaps just area) denial operations at the Afghanistan village level

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Used it for a business plan...

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    ETA: I guess it would be better to frame my question through the use of a hypothetical scenario (I'll call it a tactical decision game). Let's say we are dealing with Pashtun Taliban who have slipping into a series of villages along the Helmand River at night to conduct an intimidation effort against local civilians in order to secure poppy cultivation and onward shipment. They receive passive and active support in the process, ranging from areas to rest, cache supplies and arms/ammunition. When the feel secure enough, they remain in these areas and move amongst the people as they go about their daily routine, holding Sharia Law courts to keep the locals in line. Their endstate is to control a network of villages through subversion first, but intimidation if required. This network of villages, while producing funds via opium cultivation and other taxes, is also intended to serve as a footprint from which attacks against coalition forces can be conducted.
    Hi Jon,

Know that your CAG-guy would be working his assessments of Security, Economics ($/hectare), and Governance of their side and ours for you. Here is something from the civilian side of things that might be of use to you as well.

From Marketing Strategy 3rd Edition by O.C. Ferrell and Michael D. Hartline (man they are proud of that book...my wallet cried for days):

Internal Environment
    • Availability and Deployment of Human Resources

• Age & Capacity of Equipment or Technology

• Availability of financial resources

• Power & Political Struggles within the Firm

• Current Marketing Objectives & Performance

Customer Environment
    • Who are our current & potential customers?

• What do customers do with our products?

• Where do customers purchase our products?

• When do customers purchase our products?

• How & why do customers select our products?

• Why do potential customers not select our products?

External Environment
    • Who are the Competition?

• Economic growth & stability?

• Political Trends?

• Legal & Regulatory Issues?

• Technological Advancements?

• Sociocultural trends?

Merry Christmas

Steve
    Last edited by Surferbeetle; 12-25-2009 at 04:48 AM.
    Sapere Aude