Thread: Sanctuary (or perhaps just area) denial operations at the Afghanistan village level

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    On this note, what do we call it then when an element like the Taliban are operating almost at will inside a district area, which is in turn inside a coalition AO? What better phrase could be used?
    Sanctuary as presented is a western POV.

Suggested noun or phrase: emigrant, combat emigrant, or combat emigrants...as opposed to immigrant.

If I speak the language, know the culture, know the land, and can come and go as I wish...I live there...I am no short-term tourist, even if I don't plan to live there forever.

Having lived on the economy in a number of countries it's my observation that one eventually becomes part of the community at some level. Thus my comments regarding the need to understand the economics in order to understand the area.

Slap has a more holistic analytical method - the 4F's - Family, Friends, Finances, and who's Fooling with who. I believe the policing model is worth deeper examination in order to be successful in the COIN fight.

Finally, we might also consider the reports of Hezbollah troops intermarrying with locals (This headline from Lebanonwire: Hezbollah political manifesto asserts intermarriage between resistance and army to face Israeli aggressions ) in terms of permanence and commitment. Again, not our way, but a way...
    Last edited by Surferbeetle; 12-26-2009 at 03:05 AM.
    Sapere Aude

One aspect that has been touched by some already is the importances to address the realm of polity, politics and polity in the villages, districts, provinces and regions to fulfill (our) overarching political purpose. We all know that Afghanistan is a mosaic composed of different ethnics, cultures, families, tribes, alliances, religions (or interpretations of), terrain, infrastructure.... and so on. The recent conflicts have reinforced the reliances on both the family, the village, the tribe and a coalition/warlord and the identity found through them.

To deny the Taliban it might be necessary to give the lower levels of governance (and of the coalition too) greater autonomy and power, in certain regions and villages even over the local security forces. Doing so might make - togheter with other policies - COIN their fight too. It is a risky way, but maybe less so than not taking it.

Firn