The pic of the Rangers carrying mortars on a 2 wheeled cart is great and the use is appropriate. I don't want to give anything to the rifleman - he has to carry his own equipment. More loadcarrying ability means more load. But what about the supporting elements?

As the picture demonstrated, a single mortar team could move the mortar, baseplate, bipod, and several rounds, expending less energy and with more ammunition (I think), than if they were to hump it on their back. While the same load could be spread around to the rifle platoons, if 3 men could move the same amount, that leaves the riflemen unencumbered. That is the key, IMHO - keep the riflemen light, by enabling the mortars (and machine gun or automatic grenade launcher teams, if separate from the rifle platoon) to move their own loads.

A basic cart, pulled by two and pushed/guided by a third seems effective. But you would need wide wheels for rough terrain/sand, skinny tires for hardpack or rock, and skis for snow. Maybe one set of tires could do both, I don't know.

I don't know if we will make substantial weight reductions in the weight of the soldier anytime soon. Body armor has really driven this to a new level of concern. However, if we can create a lower likelihood of adding more gear to him, that helps. The gator sounds great, but it creates its own logistical tail. Perhaps at the battalion level for 81s.

One question - we don't use 'light' infantry in nice, flat terrain much anymore. In this territory, we use mech or motorized infantry, unlike WWII where almost everyone was just plain 'leg' infantry. Even light infantry in flat or urban terrain is probably going to use/acquire vehicles required for longer movements. The light guys will probably find themselves in really bad terrain, where only the mule is likely to be of much use. So perhaps this is all just OBE - only the flesh and blood mule is practical now, due to the likely terrain?

Tankersteve