I'm not sure that even a well-written 2006 paper fully encompasses the Grand Ayatollah's position, role or intent.

Defining his role in the body politic is perhaps more complex and nuanced than evaluating his role as a politician or in politics.

I don't have those answers, but, to date, as a man, an Iraqi, and a civic leader (and possibly as a religious community leader), he has stepped in where he believed necessary, but, it seems, in general, prefers not to engage directky in influencing the outcome of "Ceasar's due."

During the run-up to the 2009 Provincial elections, folks were jumping up and down to get him to break all the ties in the competing election rules. Finally, and only finally, he indirectly gave a small nod which, while others bit their nails as to the outcome, did, in fact, generally follow the direction of his reluctant nod.

That, to me, but not necessarily to his many followers, suggests a man and religious leader that did not, and still does not, wish to see Iraq's government follow an Iranian path, and with appropriate deference to the "quietist" tradition.

Without dispute, his nods have more effect than any US President has over a circumstance. But, unlike most folks who, if they have power, use it. He is fully invested in the religious and spiritual implications of his followers, not the political ones (within a reasonable range), but will, under extreme circumstances, use the temporal power scarcely.

That might not fit our objectives, but I have tremendous personal respect for the restraint he shows.

Steve