Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
Now, I only raise this issue because I saw that you typed, "a discussion of the manual and of what's needed to prepare for war in the current operating environment." (emphasis mine). I would assert that in determining what's needed to prepare for war (in terms of training and force structure), it should not matter what the current operating environment is.
I totally agree but I was pandering to those who wrote the Manual who probably believe that there is a current versus other war peculiarity in an effort to entice a link. I see I'm going to have to go to plan B...
Here is a sentence from FM 7-0 Training for Full Spectrum Operations, paragraph 2-28 (page 2-6)…
”Soldiers well-trained in basic tasks—such as physical fitness, lifesaving skills, marksmanship, and small-unit drills—are essential to units confidently and successfully completing collective tasks.”
Physical fitness is a condition. Marksmanship is a skill or set of skills. The way that I read that sentence, task = condition = skill = set of skills = drill. To make those words equivalent requires that their meanings be stripped away from them.
That's only one of many boo-boos by folks who don't know how to train because they do words, not training. That is an exceedingly dumb and really meaningless paragraph and it has a lot of company in the 2008 version...