Thread: Economics and Irregular Warfare

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Got that one right

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Been saying this since my first day here....it is the COG and the Enemy is a system......not a country. If you read the document you will find a quote where he says a criminal/bandit organization operates exactly the same way as an insurgency only their motive and final goal is different.
    Slapout sums it up neatly.

Whether it's Colombia, Sinaloa, Afghanistan, Iraq, or Lebanon. The motive is acquisition of power, and that power rests on finances/economics, discriminate use of force, and acquiesence by the population to the rules and benefits adminstered by the insurgent or criminal. The unworthy government that RAND would have us beware of, too often looks similar to the black hats when viewed from the village level.

Many billions later, we seem to be arguing which of the three legs is themost important. Unfortunately, the insurgent/criminal seems able to stand on only one leg if he has to.

Council Member

Ross:

I read a few Rand Studies on COIN/CIVMIL stuff. I don't think they even know how to begin to understand the problems---so they just throw jargon at them and keep moving.

No doubt, you've seen you share of that klind of advice.

Steve

Council Member

Thumbs up great comments, Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Wherry View Post
    The unworthy government that RAND would have us beware of, too often looks similar to the black hats when viewed from the village level.
    Indeed, even a "worthy" government --which we're light years away from in Afghanistan--can still look rather unappealing to populations who (while wanting greater access to resources) also rather prize their current local autonomy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Wherry View Post
    Many billions later, we seem to be arguing which of the three legs is the most important. Unfortunately, the insurgent/criminal seems able to stand on only one leg if he has to.
    Plus they don't have to sit through endless facile powerpoints about "3D", all-of-government approaches. That prospect alone would be enough to get me to join the Taliban
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.