The document is preserved in the counterinsurgency library at this link:

http://www.counterinsurgencylibrary....+of+Insurgency

I managed to stay at the Navy's Amphibious School, Coronado during a time when the Army was encouraging folks not to move; I was there for six years and taught COIN the entire time.

A few comments on Darling.

He had the terminology wrong and he figured that out. Insurgency is, in reality, revolution. Darling republished his article a couple years later as, IIRC, "Revolution Examined Anew." He didn't change a word in the article, however.

The more important part of his construct is the "dynamics." The casual and intimidation processes combine as a dynamic of social political participation. Add the resource process to create a dynamic of preserving/gaining resources for the revolution. Add the guerrilla action process to create a dynamic of allowing the government (the other side) the opportunity to dissipate its resources. If that happens then all processes combine into a collective psychological process that drains the government (the other side) of its resources--social, political, economic, and military.

Terror is a tool in two processes: intimidation and guerrilla action. The target is different in each. In the first, the target is the movement's supporters and the populace to guarantee assured participation. In the latter, the target is specifically, and deliberately, the government.

Our lead terror expert was Brian Jenkins. We flew him out twice to tape him and then used the tape. We taught at least ten two-week courses a year.

As I read back through this thread I think the participants get it, but let me state the revolutionary objective explicitly. Revolutionaries do not organize to win, they organize to give the other side, the government, every opportunity to lose.

Further, if a revolution is qualitative (American, Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese, Cuban, e. g.) the revolutionaries know exactly how they are going to govern.

You can't wake up one morning and say, "hey, we've won, now what do we do?"

I have our course handbook from the 1970's and have the goal of getting it uploaded in some fashion. I don't want to use my current website as I want to leave that devoted solely to 9-11.

Thank you for the interest.

Miles Kara