Hi Miles,

Quote Originally Posted by Oredigger61 View Post
I was not adverse to throwing in a few Milton references to my introductory hour.
Tempting, VERY tempting ! Actually, I probably will work in some Milton, especially since the archetype of the Doomed Prince is quite widespread.

Quote Originally Posted by Oredigger61 View Post
Another approach with the advanced class is to bring in the American Revolution. There was an ABC special called "Suddenly An Eagle" starring Lee J. Cobb that was a great teaching vehicle for the processes of revolution and counter-revolution. It came out in the bicentennial era; don't know if it is at all available.
I'll see if I can track down a copy of it. The American Revolution might be a good focus for the advanced class, but I am somewhat concerned about the lack of knowledge most of my students will likely have about it - we don't teach that much American history up here anymore in high school, so I can't count on any basic knowledge (outside of Mel Gibson's Patriot ).

One case I do want to look at in the advanced course, and probably touch on in the 2nd year one, is the two Riel Rebellions. I'm in discussions right now with a colleague on looking at Canadian policy towards our First Nations and Metis through a COIN lens, and that will give me a chance to workshop some of our ideas.

Some of the other ones I'm considering are:

• the 16th century bce nationalist revolt in Egypt (Kahmose and Ahmose)
  • Sertorius
  • Zenobia of Palmyra and the Barracks Emperors period
  • The Maccabean Revolt,
  • Wat Tyler
  • The German Bauernkrieg

Right now, it's still pretty much up in the air, though.

Cheers,

Marc