Thread: Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Liberal professors...

I assumed there is anti-military bias on campuses because the radical protestors from the 1960s become college professors, influenced students to be liberal, and their current anti-military bias is leftover from the Vietnam War. Schmelap, I looked at how ROTC is descriminated against at the University of California (UCs), but what is more surprising from my internship at University Archives, is that during World War II, the University of California and Defense Department were closely allied in the War Training Program that allowed military/defense industry classes to be taught at universities in order to help the war effort. And believe it or not, Adm. Chester Nimitz started Navy ROTC at the UCs, was a faculty professor of naval science at UC Berkeley and there was even a Nimitz day holding celebrating the admiral's achievements. Adm. Nimitz and the governor of California appeared together at several UC football games too.

The UCs also helped develop nuclear research which was integral to military research, and the UCs still run the Los Alamos nuclear labs. So for all the complaining going on at the UCs, there's a proud history of helping the military. I find it ironic that in academia people pride themselves on being educated, knowing history, but conveniently forget in the present the historic connection between academia and military. Thoughts?
    Last edited by yamiyugikun; 02-07-2010 at 05:47 AM.